Car Accident:

Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage

Uninsured motorists coverage (UM) pays for your medical bills if you are involved in an auto accident with an uninsured driver or if you are the victim of a hit-and-run auto accident. It is required in many states, as the rate of uninsured motorists can reach up to 25% in some areas.

On the other hand, an underinsured driver is someone who has insurance that meets the minimum legal requirements, but does not have payment limits high enough to pay for the auto accident damage. If an underinsured driver caused your car accident and doesn't have enough insurance to cover all your medical bills, that person's insurance company will pay out to its maximum and then your underinsured motorists coverage (UIM) will pay for the remaining bills up to your own limit. UIM coverage is currently required in Connecticut, Maine, Minnesota, North Carolina and Vermont. UM/UIM coverage also pays for lost wages if you have to stay home from work due to your auto accident injury. Depending on the laws in your state, UM/UIM insurance coverage may also cover pain and suffering claims and property damage claims.