Can she get money after being separated...?

next →  
acaglumac 12-10-2012 @ 7:41 PM                          
My wife and I got married in 2009. A year later I left her due to domestic violence, got a 1 year restraining order against her and have not seen her since then. We are still married. I was promising her for the past 2 years that I will file for divorce but never got around to it. She moved out of state and now lives with her boyfriend. I also promised her I will give her some money since she could not get a student loan because she was still married and I have not filed for divorce yet. Now she says that she spoke to a lawyer and can make me pay a lot of money to her because I did not file for a divorce when I promised, and she says that she has facebook messages as evidence. Can she do that or is she just playing with me?

Stephy3663 12-15-2012 @ 7:15 AM                          
You need to have a temporary order put in place ASAP. Anything you acquire or have she will be entitled to half despite living separately. Once the temp order is in place that is basically a legal separation point in the marriage. Anything before the temp order she will be entitled to half anything after is yours. This may also include DEBT of either party. So if she is off living it up on credit cards you may be required to pay half.  

acaglumac 12-15-2012 @ 1:38 PM                          
what is a temporary order?

Stephy3663 12-15-2012 @ 6:48 PM                          
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/temporary-orders-family-court-29642.html

This website should help you understand what a temp order is.

jamesvigil 07-19-2017 @ 8:06 AM                          
I think after divorce she can claim for money. Have you and your partner singed separating contracts before marriage? The contract should deal with alimony, assets, child custody etc. I suggest taking guidance of attorney if you think your spouse is playing with you and then make decision.

Please fill out the form below
and receive a free case evaluation
at no cost or obligation.