Questions to ask an adoption professional:
- How long have you been in operation?
- Where do your operating funds come from?
- Are you licensed by the state? (If you’re interviewing a facilitator, ask them if they work with reputable agencies. You should also get the names of the agencies and contact them.l).
- Has there been or is there presently any litigation pending against your business?
- How extensive is the training that your staff members receive?
- How much experience in adoption services do you require of your staff members?
- Can I speak with some of your former clients?
- How much pre-adoption counseling is provided for adoptive parents?
- What kind of post-adoption counseling is provided for adoptive parents?
- If no post-adoption counseling is provided, can you refer me to other competent professional services for post-placement followup?
- What is the nature of the adoption counseling provided for prospective birth parents? Does the counseling give them the freedom to choose parenting, or does it steer them toward adoption?
- What steps do you take to forge relationships that will be healthy and natural for both the adoptive family and the birth parents 10 years down the road?
- What steps do you take to make sure that the rights of all parties are protected?
- What kinds of glitches have you experienced during your facilitation of adoptions and how have you dealt with them?
Questions to ask a potential birth mother:
- When is your baby due?
- When did you start thinking about adoption?
- Are you working with an agency or attorney? (If you have not met her through either of those.)
- Are you feeling all right?
-How does the birth father feel about the pregnancy? How does he feel about adoption?
- How do your parents feel about the pregnancy?
- How did you choose this agency/attorney/facilitator?
- Do you have a plan for your life, after the baby is born, either job-wise or educationally?
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- Do you know anybody who placed a baby for adoption? Do you know any adopted people?