Traditional family lawyers are not equipped to deal with the complications and range of laws that may apply in cases on international marriage and divorce, though these are becoming increasingly common in our society. It is therefore prudent to look for an attorney who is skilled and practiced in these areas.
It is essential that an international family lawyer have actual knowledge of foreign practices, laws, and social customs regarding marriage and divorce. This is the only way that they can provide helpful advice to their clients from the outset. Time is a very important aspect in preparing for international cases, and an experienced attorney has the skill that will both save time and make the most of the time available.
There are a range of important questions that need to dealt with at the outset of international family law cases, the answers to which will have far-reaching consequences. The answers will vary from case to case, and an experienced attorney can provided helpful advice in these situations and fundamental questions:
- Should the client stay in the foreign residence?
- Should the client move home before instituting a divorce?
- What should the client do before moving to another country?
- May a parent with certain rights of custody from a court in one country unilaterally take the child to another country?
- What would be the consequences of such a move?
This is just a small sampling of the issues which go on at the start of a case. International family attorneys can help you deal with all the standard issues of divorce, along with the complications necessarily attend international cases. These include:
- International prenuptial agreements
- International child abduction
- International divorce
- International relocation
- The ability of individuals to remarry after international separation
- International child custody