Enforcement of Child Support Orders

Under the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, district or state attorneys will help you collect your child support payments. Sometimes the District Attorney (D.A.) will serve your ex papers stating that he or she must meet with the D.A. to discuss payment.

Federal laws allow the interruption of tax refunds to enforce child support orders. Other methods of enforcement include wage attachments, seizing property, suspending the business or occupational license of a payer who is behind on child support, or revoking the payer's driver's license. Your state's D.A. may use any of those methods in an attempt to help you collect from your ex. The parent can ask a judge for a downward modification of future payments, the judge will usually insist that the child support be paid in full, either immediately or in installments.