When you call a job applicant’s former employer, state that you are considering the candidate for employment and you have a few questions that can help validate their qualifications. Ask if it is a good time and if not, when you can call back.
Several questions you may want to ask include:
- What were the responsibilities of the position the candidate held at your company?
- Do you think the candidate is qualified to take on these responsibilities? Why or why not?
- Is this person a team player or do they excel by working alone?
- Was the candidate on time and dependable?
- What were the candidate’s strongest qualities?
- Why did they leave the position?
- Would you rehire the candidate?