- Disability Benefits and Claims
- Social Security Disability Lawyers
- Application Process
- How to Apply for Social Security Disability Benefits
Social Security Disability:
You should apply for Social Security benefits as soon as you become disabled. You can apply online, by calling or visiting your local Social Security office or by calling the toll-free number 800-772-1213.
Disability benefit claims typically take three to five months, which is longer than most other types of Social Security claims. To help shorten the process, you should have certain documents handy when applying. Some information often required by the Social Security Administration includes:
- Your Social Security number
- Proof of age
- Contact information for doctors, hospitals, clinics etc. that offered care or treatment
- Dates of any medical visits
- Names and dosages of any medicines taken
- Medical records
- Lab results
- A summary of your job and your company
- Your most recent W-2 Form (if self-employed, a copy of your federal tax return)
- Social security numbers of family members applying for benefits
- Proof of age for these family members
- Proof of marriage if your spouse is applying for benefits
If you don’t have some of the above information, do not delay in filing for disability benefits. A social security attorney or the Social Security Administration can help you obtain these documents.
In addition to the Application for Benefits, you must complete an Adult Disability Report From which gathers information about your medical condition and work history. Both forms can be completed online at the Social Security Administrations website.
If you need help filing social security forms or have been denied social security benefits, fill out our free case review form. Our social security attorneys will contact you as soon as possible to help you with your disability claim.