- Criminal Defense
- Drunk Driving Lawyers
- Answers and Information
- DUI Convictions and Criminal Penalties
A DUI conviction may carry criminal penalties including fines, jail time, probation, and community service. Some state laws impose certain minimum penalties for first-time offenses, then designate increased penalties for each offense thereafter. Severity of criminal penalties will vary according to the circumstances of the offense, including...
- Whether the driver has a history of DUI violations;
- Whether the driver was operating a commercial vehicle at the time of the DUI;
- Whether the DUI violation occurred while there was a child in the vehicle;
- Whether the DUI violation occurred simultaneously with another dangerous moving violation, such as reckless driving;
- Whether the DUI violation involved a car accident in which property damage occurred;
- Whether the DUI violation involved a car accident in which another person was injured or killed; and
- Whether the driver was under the legal drinking age at the time of the DUI violation.