Traffic Violation:

Drivers Licenses in Other States

A legitimate driver’s license is valid for trips into all other states. This is true even if you are in the other state for long periods of time due to business or schooling. The only exception to this rule applies to minors. A 15 year old may have a valid license from his/her home state, but some states with different age requirements (17 as the minimum driving age for example) may not recognize it as valid. Minors should call the department of motor vehicles of any states in which they plan on driving, to ensure that their license is recognized.

If you move to another state permanently (i.e. you pay taxes there), then you must apply for a new license. The application typically must be filed at the state’s department of motor vehicles within a month (30 days) of you moving to the state; some states may administer vision or simple written tests.

Every state except for Michigan and Wisconsin is part of either the “Driver’s License Compact” or the “Non-Resident Violator Compact.” If a driver receives a ticket in one of these states, the information is sent to the department of motor vehicles in his/her home state, and it will affect the driver’s record as if it occurred in the home state. That is to say, tickets on other states are just as serious as ticket’s in a driver’s home state.