Grounds for Divorce in North Carolina:
1. Incurable insanity.
2. Marriages may be dissolved and the parties divorced from the bonds of matrimony on the application of either party, if and when the husband and wife have lived separate and apart for 1 year, and the plaintiff or defendant in the suit for divorce has resided in the State for a period of 6 months
4. Maliciously turning the other out of doors
5. Cruel or barbarous treatment that endangers the life of the other
6. Offering such indignities to the person of the other as to render his or her condition intolerable and life burdensome
7. Becoming an excessive user of alcohol or drugs so as to render the condition of the other spouse intolerable and the life of that spouse burdensome